Touchy subject - gender

Sometimes when you scream into the void the void screams back.
Mandragora

Touchy subject - gender

Post by Mandragora » Wed May 24, 2017 7:47 am

Yerp. I'm going there.

So in the past two decades we've seen a growing acceptance and change in society in relation to non-binary genders. What do you think of the issues surrounding this? The one that the media loves to fixate on is about which toilets transgender people have to use, but really that's a fairly minor issue.

At the moment in backwards Australia, we don't even have same-sex marriage. Marriage is defined as between one man and one woman. Can a male-to-female woman marry a man? I don't think so under current legislation.

Then there's the touchy subject about what to call other-gendered people, when 'he' and 'she' doesn't fit. It's odd, but as progressive as I am, even I get a bit confused and unsettled by it all. I grew up in two conservative cultures, and it's hard to shake off all those preconceptions you're programmed with. I guess the best way forward is with an open dialogue.

That said, from a humanist perspective, I think eventually we'll be able to shift gender by choice, making gender useless. Ben Aaronovitch wrote about such an advanced society in The Also People, which I highly recommend. If gender becomes just a matter of choice like hair colour and clothing, then I think gender discrimination will fade away.

Opinions?

Ryan

Re: Touchy subject - gender

Post by Ryan » Sat May 27, 2017 9:22 am

I'm confused as well. You have men and women, the ,standard'. Now we have transsexuals, a man in a woman's body or a woman in a man's body
. After they get reassignment surgery, they are still either male or female.

Personality, I can care less what people do but we seem to have crossed into dangerous territory. If I go around telling people that I'm Neapolitan Bonaparte, the public wants we locked away and medicated
If I say I think I'm a woman, they throw me a parade. Aren't both conditions a result of chemical imbalances and faulty Neuro connections in the brain?

bleavitt
Site Admin

Post by bleavitt » Sat May 27, 2017 2:23 pm

My understanding is gender is social and sex is biological.

I would rather try and deal with the underlying issues of disenfranchisement, otherization, and enforcing personal morality upon others.

People seem to have a bug up their butts about how others live their life. Something about wanting protection for themselves while demanding others be repressed. Almost like businesses lobbying against labor laws while fighting for regulations to limit competition.

Maybe I have gotten carried away on some crazy train, but we have enough space to live our own lives happily enough, but nowhere near enough space to make sure everyone around us is living exactly the same happy life we want for ourselves.
When all is said and done, go and get a cookie.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:05 am

Do what you want in life. In America, we have this bathroom bill business. Completely ridiculous on both sides. I get the idea is that any man can waltz into the woman's room and not be questioned. Hell, if they had this when I was in HS , I'd probably roam into the girls locker room. But really, both sides should focus on teaching people how to use a public restroom in a civilized fashion before worrying about which one a person uses.

bleavitt
Site Admin

Post by bleavitt » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:40 pm

The west seems to live in a state of fear over what is possible ignoring what is probable.

Grown men walking into restrooms dressed as women to molest someone isn't going to stop (if it ever started) because a law was passed.

This all kinda reminds me of the George Carlin skit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE8ooMBIyC8
When all is said and done, go and get a cookie.