Trying to compile gimp with errors

Explore that without physical form. The bits that makeup our meta world.
bleavitt
Site Admin

Re: Trying to compile gimp with errors

Post by bleavitt » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:29 pm

Haha, oh this brings me back. Yep, my goto approach has always been to play around, break things, then once I figure it out re-install and see if I can do it clean the first time.

One trick I used when compiling from source was the --prefix flag. I would pick where I want the app to live, use ./configure --prefix=/path/to/home (For Apache I would use stuff like ./configure --preifx=/srv/n0apache or something similar, and then I always knew what binary, config file, etc, belonged to what.

Unfortunately I haven't jumped deeper into package management. Maybe one day... It is a dream of mine to have my own repository, with the Ben version of stuff. Oh what a day that will be!
When all is said and done, go and get a cookie.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:02 am

I've read about the prefix argument but wasn't quite sure what it did. I'm slowly getting back into Linux, after using Win10 for a while. I went with linuxLinux Mint because it is based on Ubuntu which is based on Debian, which I read was good for people who are good with computers but no so much with Linux. I am getting more comfortable using the terminal, I even shed the habit of using DOS commands.

I will need your help once I find the program again. It is basically Tor for email. It sends emails over noded but I never got it to work. I think I may have had to install an actual smtp server so my machine could communicate with the relay network but I'm not sure.

bleavitt
Site Admin

Post by bleavitt » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:57 am

Haha, eventually you will be on a windows terminal and start using ls. Fortunately MS saw the light and added Ubuntu to it. I have no idea who would use powershell on a Linux system tho, even tho its a thing now O+O

Ubuntu is my goto for its Long Term Support versions. Centos/Redhat is ok, but I like the mentality of Debian, but need the modern approach of Ubuntu. Mint is good for home Ubuntu use, although the Ubuntu Desktop is gaining traction.

I don't know how valuble Tor e-mail would be... Email is mostly unencrypted when traveling between hosts, so unless you encrypt every message Tor will only give more people access to your messages as it enters/exists endpoints you don't control. I haven't gone through the tutorial completely, but this looks like an interesting approach: http://sealedabstract.com/code/nsa-proo ... n-2-hours/

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:37 am

The program I originally found wasn't about protecting the message itself but rather the sender, for example, a whistleblower. Because the message jumps along the relay network, in the same way Tor works, the original sender can't be easily traced. I tried it using my real account to email myself but it failed, probably because I need an actual SMTP server.

I was just messing with it for the hell if it and to maybe learn a few things. I'll have to check the link out when I get on my laptop.

bleavitt
Site Admin

Post by bleavitt » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:06 am

I wonder what the difference between using it, and just using tor directly was. Probably just integrated it like the tor browser.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:52 am

Wouldn't Tor still leave the HTTP header data intact? The initial transfer would copy the sender ip before relaying along the network.

From what I understand,Tor is HTTP based and even warn again trying to route other protocols over the network.

bleavitt
Site Admin

Post by bleavitt » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:33 am

Ya know, I havent read too deeply into how tor works on the onion side. I always thought it worked more like a VPN, but that could be off.

What do yiu feel is more important, data at rest or data in motion?