What happened to the tablet craze?

A place to talk about all the stuff you can hold.
Adelaide

What happened to the tablet craze?

Post by Adelaide » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:25 pm

There seemed to be a gold rush back in 2010 for tablets. Every company was making them and everyone seemed to want one, so what happened? Tablets seem to be dying. According to NDP reports, interest and sales in tablets have declined 30 percent since their peak in 2013. I was curious as to why the love affair with tablets is over. My guess is that laptops have become lighter and more affordable. Why buy a tablet when you can buy a far superior laptop for close to the same price. But I personally like tablets for reading and travel. Though admittedly, when my nvidia shield broke, I didn't run out to buy a new one. Do you have a tablet? Would you buy one?

bleavitt
Site Admin

Re: What happened to the tablet craze?

Post by bleavitt » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:07 pm

I think most people just have one, or when they tried it they didn't find it as a needed item and more as a nice halfway solution.

I had a Nexus 7 tablet and I loved it until it got lost by a relative of mine while traveling somewhere. We did end up replacing it, and got a version that could take a SIM card to make traveling easier. At the same time we also got a new phone plan, so while I think Tablets have a great place in the ecosystem they are not the replacement product some people thought they were going to be.

If you need to get work done you want a Laptop. Keyboard, mouse, and the workstation desk layout are hard to beat and I haven't seen tablets make the leap as mainstream dockable devices yet. I could buy a $350 tablet and a $150 docking station, or I could spend $400 on a computer and use my phone when I need to be on the move.

For personal I still see a home, but in the environment control/smart home realm, and as kids toys. It's like a big remote control for everything or a tiny TV for your kids to play angry birds on.

I think the Tablet form factor is here to stay, and it will get more popular as we move away from paper and traditional work environments. More Tablet Apps need to take the next jump from being bigger versions of phone apps and into a whole new world. I don't know what that will look like, but anyone who has tried to get work done on a tablet knows it just isn't as smooth as a desktop/laptop. At least not yet.

Anyone have another experience?
When all is said and done, go and get a cookie.